Thursday 2 May 2013

1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of the real media products?


All magazines are seen to follow conventions. This is a vital part in magazines, in order to make them look professional. However many magazines do decide to break this convention, in order to code their magazine to their target audience. The usual conventions that can be found in magazines which are coded to appeal to audiences are the masthead, price, bar code  issue date, date, banners, earpieces, numbered pages, 3 main colours. These are all usual forms in which producers use to code their magazine to appeal and attract their demographic. I have produced my own magazine which consists of four pages, which include; the front page, contents page, and a double page spread. Each separate page follows their own conventions, and has their own individual ways in which they can be codified to meet these conventions. However, for my own magazine, I have decided to follow the usual conventions, due to the fact that my magazine is aimed towards a demographic that prefers the genre of R&B, along with Hip-Hop, which are two popular genres of music, and which therefore I am able to create a mode of address, that would appeal to my target audience.


To start with, ways in which I had followed conventions within my front page is by looking at the two banners. This follows the usual form of a magazine, as seen in my existing pages from my research, majority of front covers follow this form. Usually, information such as ‘exclusive interviews’ or names of other artists are within these banners, which is something that may draw in the attention of the reader. However I have codified my front page through the use of my buzz words. This is one of the most important code and convention for a front page magazine as it helps catch the attention of my intended target audience. However it is important to use the correct mode of address through the use of my buzz words, which is what, will appeal to my intended audience. An example would be through my use of slang and colloquial languages, which will be easily recognised by my audience, due to the fact they have are used to using this type of language. My front cover shows the use of buzz words, were some are presented in the use of slang and colloquial language, such as ‘truth revealed, exclusive, shocking, hottest, live’, whereas for my use of just my slang include words such as ‘Sexy’ and ‘Hottie’. These buzz words would be appealing to my audience due to the fact that they are language that are coded to appeal to my demographic. This is because my target audience consists of females, age 16-24, and this is the type of girly slang language they would use. For example, a Vibe magazine had a target audience to girls, in their late teens to their late 20’s, and used buzz words that contain words such as ‘Hot’ and ‘Beauty’ to make this appealing to their audience.  


 I have also used a great deal of connotations through my use of the colours. It shows my use of colours of pink, which has connotations femininity, which relates to my audience, due to the fact my target audience are young female, and therefore using feminine colours, would be using the correct mode of address, to appeal my magazine to them. This could also catch my audience’s attention, as they may feel as if this colour is represented for them, due to its connotation.


Furthermore, I have also followed another form for a magazine that is vital, by including the bar code, alongside with the price, issue date and the actual date of the magazine, which is usually placed in top left, bottom right or bottom left of the magazine. My magazine shows how I placed it on the top left, so it is more easily visibly seen to my audience.


Looking at my Masthead, a traditional convention is having the main image covering a part of the masthead, which is what I have done; this is also seen as superimposed. I have done this due to the fact I tried to draw the attention in, from my target audience into the main model. Reasons as to why they might catch attention to the model may be due to the fact the model on my page is a star who is much bigger than the actually magazine itself, and therefore she is able to cover the masthead. However, this does not mean I would lose readers, due to my magazine still being confident, as it is full of content. This could then result in the image the theory of the Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs.  This theory suggests that those who read magazines have dreams and aspirations, to be like or to look like an image that is contained in the magazine. Ways in which this has been applied to my image on the front cover is due to the fact my model is seen as the opposite to societies stereotypes of women. Therefore I have created my model to be more of a powerful young female, who comes across as a wild, outgoing, fun individual. This then reinforced that my image is giving the confidence to women, that they have power. My audience then may feel they can relate to this, and feel that the model on my front page is being brave and confident, in challenging the stereotypes for women, which then leads to them having dreams and aspirations to be like my image. However, other reasons as to why they may feel to inspire to look like this image is due to the fact


the image contain the Hyper Reality effect, which is created by Jean Baudrillard. He suggests that reality has been replaced with simulacra; he also suggests that the real is no longer real in society anymore, due to the media portraying women, in different ways. Meaning women have been edited and manipulated to have that ‘perfect’ look, which is seen to be real to readers, however, has just been edited to meet the needs of the hyperreality. My image contains the use of the hyperreality due to the fact I have used airbrushing, making her skin much smoother, and making her cheeks more pink, which makes her look more feminine. I had tidied up bits on her due to the fact women, have the dreams and aspirations to have perfect skin, and wish to have that glowing look.

Another theory that I have contained within my image is the Male Gaze. This is a theory that is created by Laura Mulvey, which suggests that the feminine  are being looked at in a childlike way, and in a more weak, submissive and vulnerable way. Women may want to inspire to look like this due to the fact they are aware that by looking like this, this can catch the male attention, therefore if they were to purchase this, they, too, can be the recipients of male attention. My image on my front page doesn’t contain much of this theory, however other images within my magazine do, which would be explained later on.  This then reinforced the idea of the dreams and aspirations, regardless if it contains the hyper reality effect.



My image is also showing the meaning to what her personality is like, which is seen as wild, outgoing crazy character. What helped me make this decision was through the responses from my survey that I had produced on Questionpro.  What helped me make the decision was through my responses from my survey that I had created on Questionpro. My research showed the majority of my demographic preferred animals such as dogs, tigers, lions, cheaters,  which are all seen as wild animals, resulting in my demographic being typically wild, outgoing, and crazy, leading me to include my image relating to these results


My front page also included the theory of the Uses and Gratification, a theory developed by Blumler and Katz's. This theory suggests that in magazines, they contain four main things, which consist of Information, Entertainment, Social Interaction and Personal Identification.  My magazine includes these as including a great deal of information such as what featured stories are included inside my magazine, for example ‘exclusive interview with America’s upcoming couple artists’. I have also included Entertainment from the theory, such as a competition. I have also included social interaction from the theory, by including a link to the website, and lastly the personal identification, which is through the use of the mode of address, connotations, and possibly the image, which all related to my intended demographic, which results in them feeling as if they are able to relate to my magazine.


Another way in which I have followed the form of a magazine is by the different typographies I have used to present the different featured stories.  I have also included different colours within the front page, which is codified to match my three band colours, which is a convention. This makes my page look more professional and relates to the brand identity, and looks neater. Reasons as to why it is conventional to use a range of different typographies, colours and sizes are due to the fact this is something that is able to catch the reader’s attention, and is eye catching. For example, having large typographies in order to present buzz words, which is something that would be appealing to the audience. However, if you were to have these buzz words in different colours, such as bright colours, this would also stand out the readers, and also catch my target audience’s attention, if I were to use the correct colours. Furthermore, to make this even more eye catching, having these in larger typographies would make this more visible, as it would be the largest typography on the page.


However, there are ways in which I have challenged these codes and conventions. Such as the way I have presented my Masthead. I haven’t followed the typical convention for a female typography, which is usually in lower case typography, with round edges. However, for my Masthead, I have included capital letters, with squared edges, making it look more masculine. Also the fact that the letters are seen as separate letters, which make them stand out more, however in a masculine way, which is going against a formulaic way in coding a female magazine.


For my contents page, there were many codes and conventions that I had met. With, my contents page shows how I have named my featured stories, with their subheadings, along with the page number next to them, which are all in line, which is shown in the example.  This is following a code and convention, as if this wasn’t to be followed, the reader may be confused as to what page each story is on. By having this, it also makes my page look more professional, and neat. Relating to this, I have also got my page number over the images that I have on my page. This makes it easier for my audience to understand where to find the article, on each image that they show an interest to. This then highlights that my contents page was constructed in a formulaic way.


 Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs, identified by Abraham Maslow, may be related to the image on my




pages, as other women who may have dreams and aspirations, to look like the image, and aspire to have power like image does. This theory however links to all the images contained on my page, for example, a featured story that is contained on the page includes couples, therefore this image could be seen as appealing to other females who may find this to be ‘cute, adorable and sweet’, and would have dreams and aspirations to have something like this. This can then lead to them wanting to buy the magazine, to read about this article.


 However, the images may also be seen as ‘’ideally perfect’’ to majority of my demographic due to the image containing the Hyper Reality effect, which is a theory developed by Jean Baudrillard. This theory is a condition in which ‘’reality’’ has been replaced by simulacra. This theory replaces reality, and therefore edits and manipulates images, to be seen as ideally perfect. Ways in which I had applied this theory was by cropping an image of a female, and narrowing her waist in, along with her legs, including airbrushing, which all links in with the hyper reality effect. By doing this, this may draw my target audience’s attention into buying the magazine, as they may feel they are able to be the images, if they buy a copy. This theory also links to all of the images that are contained on my contents page, as this is what draws in the attention of the audience, as they are either inspired by the image, or attracted to the images.


There is also the fact of the Male Gaze which is created by Laura Mulvey, whose theory suggests that the audience view characters from the perspective of a heterosexual male. I have included this theory as there are many photos on the page that actually represent the Male Gaze, which is when the men have more power over the women, causing the women to look weak, submissive, and vulnerable. However, other images on the page (such as the top right hand corner), shows an image where she has a bit more power, due to the fact she has her arms crossed, however, has her head slightly titled to the side, which also gives a bit of a sense she is seen as weak submissive and vulnerable, and representing a childlike look.


As shown there is also an image that shows a female standing behind the male, who has her hands on the male, which represents stereotypes of women, as it shows women are weak, and men have all the power over women. This is done through the hegemonic values of society, as women are stereotyped into the Male Gaze, and is a natural role in society for women to have less power, over the women.


Another example of stereotypes is included with the two males standing in the middle of the page. This image shows a stereotype of them as it is showing how they are powerful, look quite aggressive, wearing hoodies and chains. This then may give them a label of a stereotype, that they are seen as ‘bad boys’. I have reinforced this stereotype due to the fact this is a common look to society, so therefore my target audience would find this appealing, possibly attracting, and therefore would buy my magazine.


Another theory that is included within the page is the Uses and Gratification theory, created by Blumler and Katz's. This theory recognises the different information the pages include, as shown on my page different featured stories contained within the magazine, brief descriptions about images, page numbers directing them to certain pages etc. Also entertainment, where there are links to different social Medias such as Facebook, twitter, Instagram, social interaction, where I have posted a link to the brand website, where all users can share ideas thoughts and opinions about different artists they are in favour of, and also the personal identification, where my target audience are able  personally identify themselves, possibly through the mode of address that I have used, contained all sections to this theory onto my magazine, as it is seen as a vital part of the codes and conventions. However, the modern media magazine suggest that these for sections of the theory are not enough for a magazine, and so therefore exchange needs to be included, which is something that I have added within my page, such as the users being able to read from the blog, which is an example of exchange. The users are also able to write their own blogs, which are different examples of exchange.


Another code and convention that I have followed is using my brand colours within the page. I have stuck to my three main colours which consists of the colours blue pink and grey, which is important, as my target audience may be able to identify what brand the magazine is from, if they were to see the colours included in my contents page. I had also included iconography, which is a symbol that represents my magazine as a whole, due to the music signs, particularly the pause sign, which generally relates to my magazine name.


However, there are also many things that I have said to challenge within my contents page. My page shows that I have challenged the fact of not including an editorial, which is something which is common within a contents page, and is a typical code and convention. I had decided not to include this as majority of my demographic consist of a younger generation, which is information that I had received from my research, so therefore they would be more typically interested in reading what the different featured stories are, rather than reading through the editorial. This then highlights the fact that I had decided to challenge and go against the fact majority magazines are codified by having an editorial.


Another code and convention that I had decided to challenge was the fact of including an equal amount of images with text. Judging from my research, majority of music magazines that were aimed to my demographic had pages that consist of mainly text. This was simply due to the fact that majority of my demographic prefer to read able new artists, upcoming events, gossip etc., about the different musical things. My magazine then shows that I have several pictures, equal to the amount of information, that is provided to my target audience, and this was due to the fact that my magazine is aimed at mainstream, so therefore my contents, would be appropriate for all.


On the other hand, I had also decided not to develop any ideas, also due to the fact the things that I had contained on my page, are appropriate for my audience, and therefore nothing else needs to be challenged along with developed, and my magazine consists of the correct mode of address, appropriate for my demographic.


Furthermore, with my double page spread, this shows that I have met many codes and conventions that have been codified to represent the correct mode of address to my audience. One code and convention that I had codified to meet my target audience was by including three columns within my article. This was simply due to the fact it makes it easier for my demographic to read, as it has been separated into paragraphs and columns. Within these columns, I have also followed an important code and convention such as including an opening paragraph of a brief description, either about what the article is going to be about, or a brief description of the artist(s) in the article. I have included this within my double page spread, so it’s easier for the reader to read, and get a clear understanding of what the article is going to be about. I have also included a mini quote beneath my heading and subheading, which could be an indication to what the person in my article has said, which is usually done to be a powerful quote, to get the readers to read the article, this should be an eye catching quote, such as the one I have included, ‘’my journey so far’’, as this could give an indication to those interested in how the artists became successful through her journey.  Another code and convention that I had included was the fact I have included my iconography on all my pages. This was due to the fact my demographic will get used to seeing this semiotic, and therefore would recognise my brand from seeing this, leading to brand recognition.


I have also included another code and convention such as having larger letter typography, particularly a different font, along with a larger full stop, which is what I have included in mine, so the reader is able to identify where the article starts and where the article ends, to avoid confusion. These two are codified to be quite powerful on the page, as they stand out to the reader, so it is eye catching to the reader, to read the article.


I have also included a large amount of code and conventions that is related to theory. This includes my main image containing the Hyper Reality effect. This is where my demographic would see my images as ideally ‘perfect’. This is done by making a number of edits, which I have done so by using Photoshop, such as, as seen, I have enhanced her breasts and bottom half, to make this appealing and attracting to both genders. I have also arched in her back to make her in line with the Male Gaze. This is a theory that is particularly for the males, where women, are seen as weak, vulnerable and submissive, which can be due to many reasons such as the image in my double page spread shows a women who has an ideally perfect body, in the men’s eyes. Therefore this highlights that my main image on my double page spread has contained these theories, to draw the audience’s attention to the image, to be physically attracted and appealed to the image. This may also be due to the position that she is standing in, and the fact she is holding her hair up, looking over her shoulder, is a codified to be in line with the Male Gaze. However, another way in which I followed a code and convention was by drawing in my demographics attention in, was by using another theory called Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs. This is where in this case, the females who are my target audience would have dreams and aspirations, which apart of Maslow’s theory, a part of his self-actualisations, which Maslow feel this should be placed at the top of his pyramid. This is however one of the most important theories, due to the fact that my magazine is aimed particularly at females, so therefore I would need images that contain things such as the Hyper reality and Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs, so they can then feel they can have these images as role models, and inspire to be like them, which can result in them purchasing the magazine.


However, there is also another theory that I have included such as the Uses and Gratification theory. This is a theory then assures that the magazines contain most of these theories; Information, such as on my double page spread the article, and a description info box about my artist, Entertainment, such as reading new gossip about the new artists and how she became successful, along with plenty of images, which is something that relates to my target audience, due to them being female, which ii something that females enjoy doing, discovered by my research,  however my double page spread does challenge the fact of Social interaction, which is something that has been said, and has been replaced with exchange instead. This is something that I had decided not to develop on, due to the fact of me containing social interaction within my other two pages. However my page does contain the last function which is personal identification. This is where my audience are able to identify and relate themselves to my magazine; due to the fact they feel they can represent the magazine. This may be due to the mode of address I have used, which is when my target audience feel comfortable with the languages being used, such as my colloquial language which is appropriate to my audience, so I therefore am assured I am using the correct mode of address.


I have also used the fact of stereotypes. This was simply due to the fact of the images I had included. The images are shown for the young female to be very in line with the Male Gaze, and I have represented her to be vulnerable and submissive, and giving her less power in all images that are contained within the page. Reasons as to why I had decided to do this was due to the fact my demographic picture these stereotypes as being ‘normal’, and do not realise themselves that these by having images such as this is stereotyping, however they see it as have an ideally perfect body, which they have dreams and aspirations to look like (as suggested from Maslow’s theory and the Hyper reality effect).


In conclusion, to sum it all up, my evidence suggests that I have uses majority codes and conventions, rather than challenging or even developing any conventions. Reasons to this was simply due to more of my target audience would feel they can ‘personally identify themselves’ as suggested in Uses and Gratification theory, if I were to use the correct codes and conventions, along with the correct mode of address. This highlights, by doing this I would be able to attract and appeal more audience.  Although for those that I did challenge, I did this in order to ensure my page contained a sense of my own ideas, and unique ideas. This was simply due to the fact it makes my magazine seem more interesting, and also helps me meet the needs and wants to my target audience, which is where I found this information from survey results. This then highlights the fact that I had used more codes and conventions, rather than challenging or developing.

No comments:

Post a Comment